Instructions: Answer all questions in a short paragraph or two.
- What is Pericles’ main argument in the funeral oration? Why is Athens respected?
- What were the Athenian and Melian positions in the Melian Dialogue as presented by Thucydides?
- Why, according to Aristotle, do individuals seek to form a polis? Why does the idea of a confederation of polis seem problematic for Aristotle and the Greeks, more generally?
- What is the difference for Augustine between the City of God and the Temporal City?
- What is Vitoria’s argument for when violence is permissible by the Spanish in the new world?
- What, according to Machiavelli, were virtú and fortuna? What is their relationship?
- What is Machiavelli’s understanding of political morality?