IT 509 INFORMATION SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN
TERM PROJECT AIRPORT 1
You will be the IT Manager to improve the performance of the local AIRPORT
PASSENGER PROCESSING SYSTEM (APPS). The new airport will have lees
employees and faster process timing. This is to make the Airport more
efficient and more secure. The new system will replace the boarding-pass
and ID Control personnel with IT System. The passenger will walk through a
passage surrounded with cameras and other remote readers. Each customer
will be given an RFID bracelet when they enter to the airport.
In this new system, the first step, passenger to the get the RFID bracelet at
the automated kiosk. This ATM type machine has face recognition cameras,
finger-print reader and connection to DMV and IRS to authenticate the
passenger and update the Airport database. This is the only step where
passenger will stop and wait for the machine to prepare RFID bracelet on
his/her wrist. Then, passenger with RFID bracelet never stops until seating in
NEW AIRPORT IT SYSTEM
• Airport already has 3 entry points (terminals) .
• You will be upgrading the all current airport terminals.
• There will be no addition of new terminals.
• One local area network (LAN) at each terminal.
LAN parameters for each terminal:
o 30 new desktop computers going to be used.
o There will be 17 face recognition cameras in each terminal
o 4 finger-print recording stations
o 20 customer RFID readers (captures the identification of the
customer in the airport) to make sure passenger goes to the correct
• One Centralized database will record and authenticate each passenger in the airport terminal.
• New data network to connect all sections (all terminals) to the main database.
• New data network to connect airport IT system to the other external IT system for proper ID and payment ( i.e.
credit card companies
F I N A L R E P O R T S E C T I O N S
You will be developing NEW IT SYSTEM and the counter measures for cyber-attacks. Prepare your recommendations by
covering the following sections.
SECTION 1: LAN
Design LANs that will be used in the airport. One LAN design will be used in all terminals. The same requirements for all
1- Provide the block diagram of LAN design with components of the Local Area Network. Use https://www.draw.io/ to
develop/draw network diagrams. Drawing is for one terminal only. All terminals have the same LAN. You must have
your name on the LAN diagram.
2- In a table format, provide the IT shopping list (Hardware and software) for all LANs in the airport. List of
equipment/devices and software. You list should address all needs IT components for the airport. On table for all
SECTION 2: Project Management
Given parameters if the IT Project:
• It takes two weeks to determine how you are going integrate the new system into the current system
• Start construction/renovation new airport entry sections for IT System (all terminals)
• Design the new IT System (Cameras, Fingerprint readers, RFID readers and the database) for all terminals [ 4 weeks]
• When the new IT System Design done, then Start training of staff for the new system (Start with Logical and the do
physical/hands on when new system installed). The end date is related the final test runs (see below)
• Then, Buy/order the new system complements (HW and SW) [ 2 weeks]
• Once you order the system, it takes one week to new equipment arrive in the local warehouse
• New equipment cannot wait more than one week in the local warehouse. The warehouse has deadline.
• The renovation of the new airport entry sections must be completed before the warehouse deadline ends.
• Install the new IT system in all terminals [4 week]
• After the IT System instantiation done, do test run to make sure new IT system in all locations works [2 week]
• End the training of staff once you have test runs completed. You cannot end training if the test runs not completed
• When the training completed, then deliver the systems to the Manager. And, then close the project. [ one week]
Section 2.a Develop WBS and Gantt Chart
Section 2.b Develop the PERT/CPM chart that shows the project
Section 2.c And, show the CRITICAL PATH
SECTION 3: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SECURITY
Prepare the Control Spreadsheet which covers
• List of IT Assets with priority/importance weights ( 100 the most essential one)
• Disruption, destruction and disaster cases
• Intrusion (both external and inertial)
• List of control measures to protect the IT system
• Complete Control Spreadsheet
Regional Destruction, Disruption, Damage
Fire Flood Power loss Circuit failure
USE THE FOLLOWING CONTROL MEASURES
1. Disaster recovery plan and tanning of airport employees
2. Halon fire system in database room; sprinklers in the rest of airport terminal
3. Not on or below ground level of airport terminal
4. UPS (uninterruptible power source)
5. Network contract guarantees from Data-network providers.
6. Extra fiber data-network laid in different sections of the airport
7. Virus checking software present and updated
8. Extensive user training about viruses and reminders in monthly newsletter
9. Employee must have strong password
10. Extensive user training about password security and reminders in monthly newsletter
11. Firewall to control incoming and outgoing data network traffic
One Slide Student info & Main parameters of the airport
One or Two Slides LAN diagram for one terminal.
Must indicate total number of LANs in the table
Two or Three Slides WBS and Gantt Chart PERT/CPM chart
One or Two Slides Security for the airport
• You should consider the provided guide “PowerPoint-Rules.ppt “
• Total slide number: Min 6 Slides, Max 10 Slides
• You should name the document as: Yourinitilas_PresentationFinal
• You should be submitting the PowerPoint before it’s deadline