Strategic Planning and Performance Measurement
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapters 5, 8, and 9 in Correctional leadership competencies for the 21st century: Executives and Senior-Level Leaders (Campbell & Dobel & Katsampes & Mactavish & Yates, 2014). In addition, research at least three additional scholarly, peer-reviewed and/or credible sources that apply to the topics of strategic planning and performance measurement in the context of law enforcement and corrections as appropriate to the scenario you chose in Week Two. Carefully review the complete instructions for the Summative Assessment Strategic Plan in Week Six of the course.
It is important that executives and senior-level leaders provide techniques to expand their capacity to not only think strategically, but to act strategically. It is not enough to be able to merely respond to situations; rather, it is imperative that events be anticipated and that trends be evaluated for their potential impact on the organization. Performance measurement is used in conjunction with strategic planning to ensure that planning goals are met. Performance must be measureable and tracked to ensure that the strategic plan is being adhered to and is still relevant to the success of the organization. It is essential for leadership to work collaboratively with all tiers of an organization in order for the vision and mission of the organization to be actualized. None of this can be achieved without collaboration.
For this assignment, place yourself in the position of a manager in the organization represented in your scenario.
- Evaluate the ethical issues that pertain to the event(s) within the scenario.
- Examine how employment law affects ethical leadership.
- Explain performance measurement as a significant component in the creation of any ethical organization.
- Analyze specific laws and the impacts they have that either support or hinder ethical leadership.
Recommend the necessary steps to address these ethical issues in order to both reinforce the positive influences and mitigate or eliminate the negative influences on organizational ideology and behavior, both now and in the future.
- Must be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed, or other credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.