1. You and your spouse have just bought a starter home in a nice neighborhood, deciding to abandon apartment living now that your daughter is four years old. The next door neighbors have sold their house and you learn that the person who purchased it is a registered sex offender. Write a response to what recourse you have.
2. The state of Texas now allows hand guns on college campuses. Why do you think might/ or might not be a good idea?
3. The American economy is hurting, and many people are suffering as they lose their jobs and face higher prices for the goods and services that are a part of our every day lives. To help them through these tough economic times, some individuals are turning to “lifting,” an ancient but also a very current problem that is not only restricted to the criminal element in our society. Is shoplifting an acceptable social practice? How have standards of ethics and morality evolved to the point that stealing can seem an acceptable option to so many? And what, if anything, should be done about shoplifting in America?
4. We are midway in the semester so it is now time to assess and reflect. Take a few minutes to reflect and share with the group what you have learned, what you wish you had done differently so far, and what are the next steps you will take to succeed in this semester
5. A local church in the center of the city has offered its playground as a gathering place for the homeless people. The church also operates a soup kitchen that serves meals to the homeless two days a week.: therefore the church has become a gathering place for the homeless both day and night. The church lenders believe they are doing a great service by providing for these unfortunate people. You, however, are a business owner operating a cleaners in the neighborhood and your business has dropped off because your customers are afraid they will be panhandled when they come to pick up their cleaning. You are sympathetic to the church’s program, but it is also costing you money. How do you respond?
6.Walmart is renowed to mistreat its workers and the argument continues that it should be boycotted by consumers. Where do you stand on this debate and why?
7. A few semesters ago community colleges lost a whole week of classes due to the ice in Dallas. Imagine that the colleges proposed canceling Spring Break or Thanksgiving break to make up for all the lost time. How would you respond to this? Write a brief note expressing your support or not to this decision and explain why you support this or not.