Week 5 Discussion – Due
Respond to the assigned discussion questions. Start responding to your classmates as early in the week as possible.
Question 1: Manuscripts of the Early Middle Ages
Before the invention of the printing press, books were copied by hand one at a time by illuminators, and the vellum was often embellished with beautiful calligraphy and intricate patterns and designs.
Using your course textbook using the three examples of illuminated manuscripts from the early Middle Ages:
The Vatican Vergil
The Codex Colbertinus
. Read about each one in your textbook, course lectures, and through reliable internet resources
First, completely identify each manuscript and/or manuscript page by title, date, and location where it was created.
In a minimum of 2 well-developed paragraphs address the following questions:
- Who commissioned the creation of the manuscript? Why?
- What was the purpose of the manuscript?
- How do the visual characteristics of each manuscript contribute to or enhance its message or meaning?
- How do the reasons these manuscripts were created compare with religious texts created today?
Be sure to explain your ideas clearly and support them by discussing specific details about each manuscript.
Question 2: Romanesque and Gothic Cathedrals
Both Romanesque and Gothic architecture displayed distinctive characteristics and features. For this assignment, select one example of Romanesque church architecture and one example of Gothic church architecture from your course textbook. Read about each one in your textbook, course lectures, and through reliable internet resources.
First, completely identify the two cathedrals you have selected by name, date, and location.
Then, in a minimum of 3 well-developed paragraphs, address the following questions:
- What architectural details are evident in each cathedral that make it representative of either the Romanesque or Gothic style?
- What sort of decoration (interior and exterior) was employed in each cathedral? What was the meaning of the sculptures, paintings, windows that adorned each cathedral?
- What was the visitor or viewer experience in each cathedral?
Respond to both questions as thoroughly as possible, making sure to use information from the readings and the lectures. All responses should be in complete sentence form, using proper spelling and grammar.
As soon as possible, review and comment on the work of at least two of your peers.
- Post your response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned. Respond to at least two posts by the end of the week.